Ever since I can remember, my family has had a “Back to School Party” the week before school started. When we were young, we started the party with a yummy sack lunch and then gathered in the family room to play games. After every game, we got to run into the Living room to pick out fun school supplies that my mom had purchased. And of course the Back to School party was never complete without my Dad leading us in the song “School Days, School Days, Dear Old Golden Rule Days, Readin’ and Ritin’ and ‘Rithmetic, Taught to to the tune of a hick’ry stick…”
My Mom and Dad have so graciously continued on the Back to School Party tradition with the grandkids. However, it’s a little hard to play games in the family room with 50 people, so the structure of the party has changed a little bit. It is now a Back to School/Water party. My kids look forward to this day like you would not believe!
My parent’s rent a fun water slide for the water party. The kids never get sick of sliding down. They do it over, and over, and over again!
Parker
Dallin
Cassie
All 3 of them!
I thought this was a cool picture of Parker.
Cassie and cousin Rinsley
My Dad puts a sprinkler under the trampoline.
After sliding down the slide for a couple of hours, Dallin finally stops long enough to eat Snow Cones.
Dallin with cousins Hite and Stephen. I was afraid to ask how many snow cones they ate by the end of the party!
Let the games begin!!
The tradition continues. After each game, the grandkids come and pick out fun school supplies.
By the end, they come home with a bag full of school supplies.
We don’t have sack lunches anymore, we do pizza! It takes 15 pizzas to feed the Phelps family! My youngest brother Nathan is so Macho! :)
So here’s the funny part. My mom insists that we have “Mean Cafeteria Ladies” to serve the pizza. So the brother in laws put on their aprons and fill the role. And they really ARE Mean Cafeteria “Ladies”!! The kids get a kick out of this part of the party. I would have to say that Matt is the meanest cafeteria “lady” of them all. He really hams it up! We have to remind the little kids that he is just kidding around before they start crying. :) It’s such a crack-up!!
The Mean Cafeteria “Ladies”
What a fun day it was!! Thanks Mom and Dad!!


4 comments:
What a fun idea!! Love the cafeteria "ladies"!
I LOVE IT!!! Such a fun tradition ... I think we (Mike & I) need to rethink our family traditions and add some more "fun" ones like this!
That looks like a wonderful tradition with tons of fun. Thanks for sharing.
I love getting a glimpse of your awesome family! It is so great how you guys make getting together a priority and a tradition.
Post a Comment