Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Day in Tucson! First Stop…Reid Park Zoo

I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve lived in Arizona all of my life and have never been to Tucson (unless I went when I was little and have no recollection of it).  I guess I’ve never had any reason to go.  Recently though, a couple of different friends mentioned how great the Reid Park Zoo is.  With Good Friday coming up, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to experience Tucson with my family.  We woke up early on Friday morning and headed to the Reid Park Zoo.  I have to say that we loved it! Unlike the Phoenix Zoo, you can actually SEE the animals (wink, wink, Susan).  :)   The zoo is smaller than the Phoenix Zoo yet you see so much more…and smaller means less walking!  Another reason we liked it is because it’s so much cheaper than the Phoenix Zoo!  We took a ton of pictures, but I’ll just post a few. :)

zoo 1

 

zoo 3

 

To see the monkeys and elephants up close was awesome, and it was so much fun watching the polar bear swim.

zoo 2

 

 250

 

We had heard about the albino peacock and were happy that we ran into it.  There were a ton of gorgeous peacocks all throughout the zoo.

zoo 4

 

If you know me well, you know that I LOVE Giraffes! There’s a story behind my love for giraffes, but besides that I just think they are one of the most beautiful animals in the world.  It was so AMAZING to be able to get an up close and personal look at them.  I could have watched them all day!

zoo 5

 

 

zoo 6

 

This was my very first time feeding a giraffe.  I was pretty excited about it!

zoo 7

 

Parker

213

 

Dallin was a little hesitant, but he decided to be brave.

219

 

Cassie

224

 

All tuckered out…

zoo 9

 

But so much more fun to come! Stay tuned for our next stop…Mission San Xavier Del Bac!

5 comments:

The Whatcott Fam said...

So THATS what that bird was? An albino peacock??!! I remember seeing it when we were there and thinking how pretty it was and I took several pictures. I had no idea it was a peacock! Ha ha! I love that zoo too...I want to go back!

Loree said...

wow, what fun zoo! i need to take my kiddos there! can't wait to see more of your adventures :)

Cherene said...

We used to live in Tucson, and that is a really fun zoo. I'm glad you got to feed the giraffe (and even got a picture of it)! :)

Jared and Tara Phelps said...

How fun that you guys got to go! I will say "I told you so" about the zoo. Did you guys stay overnight? If not, you sure did a lot for one day. How fun!

Melody said...

I'm so glad you got to feed a giraffe! We definitely need to put this place on our to-do list.