Monday, February 9, 2009

In the Eyes of a Child...


So awhile ago, Parker came up and asked me an interesting question. He asked, "Mom, when you were little did you have normal pens?" I looked at him and said, "Of course we had normal pens." He proceeded with, "Oh, so you didn't use feather pens?" I thought to myself, "Feather pens??? Is he serious??" He in fact was serious. All I could do was laugh and say, "Of course not. I'm not THAT old!"


Now I know I'm no Spring Chicken, but for heaven's sake, is this how our kids see us? Do they think we've been around forever? Evidently they do.


Speaking of feeling old, I will never forget the recent occasion when I was getting to know a new friend who had recently gotten married. I made the horrible mistake of mentioning the year that I graduated from H.S. You can imagine the horror on my face when she turned to me and said, "Oh! That's the year I was born." As I buried my head in my hands, trying to hold back the tears, I realized that my days of denial were over. It was in this very moment that I finally realized that I AM INDEED OLD!!

6 comments:

The Whatcott Fam said...

Oh my...that is hilarious!!

Mom Roberts said...

You are never old...Your children just catch up with you. Try having 3 teenagers and 1 adult...YIKES!

Loree said...

you are not old Crissie! my kids ask me ?'s that date me too. i know it will get worse the older they get. i got a good giggle out of this post! :)

Melody said...

Oh , Crissie, I am SO sorry! :) That's hilarious that Parker pictured you using feather pens. My kids have also asked me stuff like that (did they have cars when you were little?)

Cherene said...

How Funny! "Old" is relative. I remember when I was little thinking that my mom was so old when she was 35. Now she's 62, and I think, "She's not old!" (And neither am I!) :)

Scott and Jeri Jones Family said...

Crissie,
Just today as we were leaving to go to Church, Tierra asked me if when I was a kid we had cars. I did the same thing you did are you kidding? She was totally serious. I said ya I'm not that old!!!!!! Stephanie said does she know that cars have been around like a 100 years? Obiously not she knows that I'm not 100 years old!!!!
Stephanie and I just laughed at how cute the comment was.